Tuesday, November 9, 2010

EDU 678 Reading Blog #1

Tomlinson, C.A. (2000). Reconcilable differences? Standards-based teaching and differentiation. Educational Leadership, 58 (1), 6-11.

This article focused on standards based education and differentiation and what some educators view as a contradiction and struggle. The fact that many educators are now being asked to teach specific standards to students throughout the school year has created a struggle of time. Educators have so many topics and concepts to teach that many feel they do not have enough time to think about, or implement differentiation in the classroom. Also, since we are teaching standards all students need to understand and master the same material, causing some teachers to believe that if they teach the standards then all students will learn. However, throughout the article Tomlinson points out the connections between standards based classrooms and differentiation, and how teachers should effectively teach the standards using differentiation. She points out that the standards and curriculum are what teachers are teaching and that differentiation should be how they teach. Lastly, Tomlinson states that we must take the time to reflect on our teaching and determine if we are meeting the needs of all learners in our classrooms.

One thing that Tomlinson stated in the article that was a new way of thinking was that differentiation is a philosophy. I had never thought of differentiation in this way before reading that statement. It is a way of thinking about teaching and choosing to meet students where they are and to help them learn to the best of their ability. I think that this is true of differentiation, but I do not think that future teachers are often taught to think of it in this way. Another thing that I learned from the article was that standards-based teaching leads to the need for more differentiation in the classroom. In order to get all students at the same level by the end of the school year we must work with students differently to achieve this goal.

I can easily apply what I learned from this article in my classroom. I believe that throughout my teaching career so far I have made strides in using differentiation. It is clear to me that using differentiation is important and is a practical way to help students be more successful. In order to raise standardized test scores I need to work with students in a differentiated way for them to master concepts and topics in reading. Also, I can apply what I learned to think about the standards I teach and how to use differentiation more effectively. I can use differentiated activities to either teach students about the most important standards, or to focus on those that are most difficult for students to understand.

No comments:

Post a Comment